Code of conduct – Purpose
The purpose of the Code is to promote a common understanding and consistency in expected standards of behaviour for workers, religious and all those working and/or volunteering in child related work.
The Code is not intended to be exhaustive and do not identify every potential scenario of concern in the workplace.
The Code assists to:
- clarify the parameters of appropriate and inappropriate conduct for personnel in child-related work
- create a safe and supportive environment for children and young people, workers and the wider community
- promote the mission in accordance with Catholic values and ethics.
The Code is aimed at modeling and building a contemporary Catholic workplace that is faith-filled, collaborative, consultative and lawfully compliant.
The Code requires:
- workers to take responsibility for their own conduct with children and young people, staff, the wider school, parish and diocesan community
- workers to conduct themselves in a manner that is professional, cooperative and consistent with the Code
- principals/supervisors/managers and leaders to provide workers with guidance, training, support and supervision.